Saturday 19 January 2008

Is this goodbye, or just au revoir?

I remember a splendid Beyond the Fringe sketch where a soldier in the War is told by his commanding officer that he is going to be asked to sacrifice himself: 'we need a futile gesture at this stage, Jenkins.' The young soldier says 'yes, sir, goodbye sir; or should I say, 'au revoir'? 'No Jenkins, goodbye.' Rather dark, but bloody funny.

For those of you still checking this blog for any signs of life, I think this is the last post on Gravissimum Educationis. I enjoyed my brief career as a blogger, and may one day return in another manifestation. I hope I made at least one valuable post.

Thank you for reading. I think Tolkien says somewhere 'faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.' May we all be filled with the light of Christ as we journey to our heavenly home, pilgrims under the guidance of the chief shepherd, the Successor of Peter.

Au revoir

8 comments:

Mulier Fortis said...

Oh... that's a shame. I was enjoying reading the thoughts of a fellow teacher!

Londiniensis said...

Au revoir, and thank you.

It is at times like this that we turn for solace to the 29th verse of the 4th chapter of the Book of Genesis: "For my brother Esau is an hairy man, but I am a smooth man".

The Holy Office said...

Lest you think this is due to sloth, I've been overwhelmed by the demands of my new job. As a housemaster I get the boys up at 6.45am and don't get home to my family until gone 10.30pm! Days off are few and far between, and I get into dreadful trouble with my wife if I look at Catholic blogs all day. My entries would therefore be sporadic, and I think a good blogger has to be more fizzy and committed than that. God bless and thank you for your kind words

la mamma said...

Fair enough, Gravy. Just don't delete your blog. It does no harm hanging there in the ether and it's a hassle if you want to resurrect it... Au revoir.

Anonymous said...

"I knocked on the door and he said 'Enter' and so I waited a while, in order to test the validity of his proposition..."

Mary Jane Ballou said...

Come back when the time is right. I'm rather sporadic myself and I don't know how the hard-core bloggers do what they do, earn their keep, and have relationships with other people.

M.J. said...

What a shame! Such a good start too! You could always take to just posting something big once in a while...

Anonymous said...

Would you mind letting people know about this excellent new blog that promotes vocations to Traditional Societies in Union with Pope Benedict XVI: http://tradvocations.blogspot.com

God bless you!